Looking to explore the beauty of Mexico without having to worry about a shady tour agency trying to rip you off with the “gringo tax”? Appreciate boots-on-the-ground information to take you to the off-the-beaten-path parts of the world without feeling as if you have to constantly look over your shoulder or worry about someone trying to take advantage of you?
Cris was born and raised in this part of the world, just down the road from Palenque, and after a few years of living in the Riviera Maya, we set up a permanent base of operations for Marginal Boundaries. With her personal knowledge of the area and her local connections, we’ve been able to create a series of adventure tours that are unlike anything you’ll find with a generic travel agency. Not only that, but as full-time travel bloggers we know exactly what it takes to create life-changing adventures and stories that you will carry with you for the rest of your life.
Come climb and enter some of the most mystical pyramids on the planet at one of several different sites. Make your way through the lush jungles and discover the diversity of plant and animal life that Chiapas and Tabasco have to offer. Dive into the invigorating waters of a tropical paradise, or relax in the swirling pools that collect the turquoise blue waters of the many waterfalls that the states are famous for.
Ride the mighty Usumacinta River on the adventure of a lifetime to explore the ancient wonder of Yaxchilan, or her sister ruins of Bonampak. Spend a day and get lost in the majesty of Palenque. Sip coffee and hot chocolate in street-corner cafes in San Cristobal de las Casas. Meet local craftsmen and women, artisans, restaurant owners, fellow expats and travelers and beyond!
Don’t miss out on these adventures! Cristina and I both have a deep-rooted love of nature, and this is one of the most magical places on the planet. We are absolutely thrilled to be able to share it with others from around the world!
The Budget Tour (8 Days/7 Nights) TBA
Designed for those who only have a limited time available for their trip, The Budget Tour is an 8 day, 7 night adventure tour of the ruins of Palenque and surrounding area. We are based out of Palenque for this tour. The next scheduled tour will be announced shortly!
. The itinerary is as follows:
- Day 1 – Arrival in Palenque + orientation dinner.
- Day 2 – Journey to the ruins of mighty ancient city of Palenque, one of the most grandiose of the Maya ruins in Mexico.
- Day 3 – An early morning jungle walk to explore the beauty of Chiapas.
- Day 4 – Journey up the Usumacinta river in a boat to the hidden ruins of Yaxchilan and Bonampak.
- Day 5 – Journey to Misol Ha and Agua Azul and cool yourself off from the jungle heat in the turquoise waters.
- Day 6 – Journey to Las Cascadas de Reformas and the hidden Maya ruins that are still largely buried under trees and forest.
- Day 7 – Cultural Adventure (visits to ranches, local markets, friends and family we have in the area, to show you the real Mexico outside of the tourist areas)
- Day 8 – Departure from Palenque.
The cost of The Budget Tour is 1,000 USD and full payment is due in advance via PayPal. Minimum of two people required.
The Adventure Tour (15 Days/14 Nights) TBA
The Adventure Tour is a two-week long trek designed for those who either have two to three weeks of paid vacation, or for those location independent adventurer types who are independently capable (such as we bloggers) of exploring the hidden wonders of the world while utilizing boots-on-the-ground services to avoid tourist traps and prices.
This is a more rigorous undertaking, and we visit numerous off-the-beaten-path destinations while using San Cristobal as our base of operations. The next scheduled tour will be announced soon!
- Day 1 – Arrival in San Cristobal de las Casas.
- Day 2 – Exploration of the city of San Cristobal de las Casas. Chocolate and coffee shops, open markets, churches and cathedrals, parks and plazas: we’ll see it all on this exploratory day.
- Day 3 – Journey to the mighty city of Palenque, heart of the Maya Empire in this part of the world.
- Day 4 – Explore the beauty of the Lagos de Montebello, a series of lakes along the border of Guatemala, and the colonial town of Comitan.
- Day 5 – Horseback ride to the village of Zinacantan, then back out via the Real de Guadalupe.
- Day 6 – Free day to explore the museums, markets and beyond in San Cristobal de las Casas.
- Day 7 – A day of exploration in the Maya villages of Tenejapa and San Andres Larrainzar.
- Day 8 – Day trip to the caves and park at El Arcotete.
- Day 9 – The waterfalls and river pools at El Chiflón.
- Day 10 – The Chiapa de Corzo and the Cañón del Sumidero
- Day 11 – Free day.
- Day 12 – Day trip to the Reserva Ecológica Huitepec.
- Day 13 – The Reserva Moxviquil and nearby attractions.
- Day 14 – Visit a coffee plantation.
- Day 15 – Departure from San Cristobal de las Casas.
The cost of The Adventure Tour is 2,000 USD. Minimum of two people required. Full payment required in advance PayPal
Day Trips and Custom Tours
Only have a day or two in Palenque or San Cristobal de las Casas, or you just want to fly in from Cancun or Mexico City for a couple of days? We can do that! Just let us know what you want to see and we’ll put it together for you!
We also do custom tours. Let’s say you want to bring your company’s sales team down to Mexico for a 4-day or 10-day team-building adventure. We can do that! Maybe you want to co-design a tour for your friends, family or business but you want to utilize our boots-on-the-ground connections to ensure you’ll have the adventure of a lifetime without the hassle of trying to do it on your own. We can do that! Or let’s say you want to take an adventure-filled honeymoon for three weeks. We can do that, too!
While the majority of our trips are for the middle-of-the-road type of traveler who requires a mid-range of creature comforts (air conditioning, WiFi, etc.), we also run luxury-oriented trips as well to the spas and retreats of Palenque and San Cristobal de las Casas. Just contact us with any questions you might have!
All tours require proof of traveler’s insurance as well as a signed waiver against any and all adventure activities such as horse riding, swimming, rock-climbing, jungle-walks, hikes, zip-lines, diving and beyond.
All tours include accommodations, local transportation to/from parks and activities, park entry fees, hand-picked local guides as required, as well as adventure and cultural activities.
Not included in the tours: airfare to/from our starting/departure points; tips for local drivers, guides, hotel staff and restaurant workers; meals; souvenirs; traveler’s insurance; etc.
While some of the accommodations include simple breakfasts, and some of the adventure activities we participate in during the tours include lunch, you should budget between 15 and 25 dollars per day for meals unless you plan on eating sandwiches and fruit.
Plan at least 10 to 15 percent minimum for any and all tips to local guides, drivers, hotel staff, restaurant workers, tour leaders, etc.